Spending time caring for our Earth teaches us not only about cycles of nature, but also about the peace to be found in all of nature’s goodness.
Volunteers in the Prairie Habitat at Marywood, experienced or not, are welcome to join us for any of our August times, even with other groups present. In the Prairie Habitat, there is always more to do and we learn from one another and from the Prairie Habitat itself.
Volunteer Schedule for August, 2019
- Thursday, August 8, 9:30 – 11:30am
- Wednesday, August 14, 9:30 – 11:30am
- Monday, August 19, 2:00 – 4:00pm … A group of Aquinas College freshmen will be learning to “love where they live” by learning about Dominican Sisters and by serving on our grounds. We will do an orientation at 2 PM either in Dominican Center or outdoors for about ½ hr, before. Anybody interested in learning about the Prairie can listen in to this orientation.
- Friday, August 23, 9:30 – 11:30 am- Finish preparing sites for new plants, begin planting some of them.
- Wednesday, August 28, 10 :00am – Noon – Wild Ones Volunteer Day
Tasks may include cutting woody growth and certain grasses, uprooting or cutting invasive species, harvesting ripe seeds, preparing sites for or planting new plants, watering.
Knowing you are coming is helpful but not necessary. Simply come when you can.
Please bring drinking water, hat, sturdy shoes or boots, tools such as trowel, gloves, kneeling pad, and others you think would be helpful. Long sleeved shirts, long pants are highly recommended. Extra tools will be available.
Parking is located at Marywood Health Center, 111 Lakeside Dr. NE; Prairie Habitat is at corner of Fulton and Lakeside Drive. Questions welcomed.
Contact Sister Lucille Janowiak, OP. Or, stop by the Reception Desk at Dominican Center (DCM) 616-514-3325 | 2025 E. Fulton GR MI 49503