In 1925, the Dominican Sisters ~ Grand Rapids received a request to teach, minister, and serve in New Mexico. We embraced the challenges and formed lifelong bonds with the people of New Mexico. The Dominican influence flourished. A high school was established where there was none; Sisters served in parishes and taught children. Our Sisters provided care for Tuberculosis patients at Nazareth Sanatorium and in other healthcare settings.
Today, our Sisters live and minister in schools, parishes, and public agencies within the Diocese of Santa Fe. Like in Michigan and elsewhere in the world, our Sisters’ roles in New Mexico continue to evolve to meet the needs of the people in both city neighborhoods and rural and mountain villages. Our ministry calls us into profound partnership with other laity, as well as clergy working in parishes.