Dominicans Sisters ~ Grand Rapids (DSGR) have the distinct privilege of serving in a wide variety of ministries. Each Sister brings her unique God-given gifts and talents to her ministry. At DSGR we believe in diversity and inclusion for the people we serve and employ. We invite you to consider joining our staff as a Social Worker in this enriching and unique culture that will make a difference in your life and the lives of our Sisters. Together, you and our Sisters will continue the great legacy started many years ago that will leave the gifts of service and justice for future generations. Please apply today if you have a heart for the things described and wish to share your talents with us. We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Facilitate the well-being of Sisters at various stages of transition considering the psychosocial and cultural challenges. Apply social work experience, specifically with a large aging population of Sisters, attending to their needs with the highest level of dignity and respect. Collaborate with the Quality of Life Team to provide education and support for Sisters in this residential community setting. Experience with the elderly population is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide professional social work expertise to independent and aging Sisters and groups of Sisters with goal setting, decision making or counseling processes.
- Collaborate with others in assessment and implementation of wellness presentations and events with appropriate follow-up.
- Provide opportunities for individuals and groups to surface questions or issues of concern and make suggestions to address them.
- Facilitate team discussion which allows for alternative choices, problem solving, and healthy interaction.
- Keep and maintain appropriate charts and files honoring the right and confidentiality of individuals.
- Recommend pertinent topics and secure speakers or other educational materials for Sisters and team members to increase understanding and behaviors.
- Plan, survey and implement Sister transitions with others, Residents, team members and staff.
- Maintain effective and ongoing communication with Sisters, team and staff utilizing phone, e-mail, conversation, and meetings.
- Assures that a Sister’s rights are honored, including the right to refuse assistance. Hold continued conversations to meet the concern of the individual or living group.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: Accredited Social Work program with a current license as social worker in the State of Michigan, meets federal, state, and local requirements for professional social work license.
- Experience: Specialized training or experience working with the senior population and appropriate activities for those in that age group. Three to five years job related experience as a professional in home and/or community-based services, with a preference toward a retirement facility.
- Physical Demands: The position is primarily sedentary; however, it requires standing and walking.
- Mental and/or Visual Demands: Possesses strong assessment skills, with a critical thinking orientation.
- Work Conditions: Standard non-smoking office conditions.
- Initiative: Use judgment in locating and selecting appropriate guidelines and alternatives. Analyze results and make recommendations. Possess the ability to work without supervision and exhibit good decision-making skills. Display a willingness to learn new tasks and methods. Has the ability to work with multiple priorities and frequent time constraints.
- Communication Skills: Able to read and write in English. Able to understand and to be understood by a range of internal and external persons, including, but not limited to, sister residents, co-workers, and other health care professionals. Demonstrates care and respect in relationships and a special sensitivity for persons with dementia and hearing loss.
- Other factors applicable to job performance: Demonstrates care and respect in relationships and a special sensitivity for persons with dementia, hearing loss and changes of aging.
Interested applicants should complete an application in person or submit a resume and cover letter with availability to:
Dominican Sisters – Grand Rapids
2025 E. Fulton Street
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3895
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage persons of diverse faiths and backgrounds to apply for employment with Dominican Sisters ~ Grand Rapids.