The Dominican Sisters~Grand Rapids are seeking a Kitchen Supervisor. This position oversees the operation of the Food Service Department with primary responsibilities focused in the main kitchen; assists in the daily operation of the department using established policies of the Grand Rapids Dominicans and the current health department regulations; and ensures that nutritional and food service standards are maintained at all times.
- Assists in developing and maintaining food service policies and procedures through attending weekly staff meetings, and participating in strategic planning for the dept.
- Assists in maintaining an ongoing quality assurance program for the food service department. Quality assurance duties include but are not limited to:
- Monitoring food temperatures during meal service
- Main focus on food safety and quality
- Monitoring staff involved in meal preparation.
- Monitoring quality of ingredients and food preparation methods.
- Maintains and enforces use of approved recipes and portion control
- Maintaining accurate records of problem areas and the solutions used to correct them.
- Monitoring cleaning duties of employees
- Monitoring proper safety and sanitation procedures, using HACCP regulations, as set forth by the State of Michigan.
- Schedules, trains, and provides on-going education to staff
- Writes and maintains recipes, portion control, and collaborates on menus.
- Reviews weekly expenses.
- Reviews nutrition information
- Maintains compliance with all local, state, and national food safety guidelines
- Collaborates on DCM events, pricing, and menus
- Supervises kitchen staff
- Monitors kitchen cleaning and sanitation
- Recipe management
- Manages waste control (leftovers)
- Assists with inventory and ordering
- Performs some of the duties of the Kitchen manager in their absence, including but not limited to:
- Creates/maintains warm and pleasant work atmosphere.
- Coordinates food service activities with other departments
- Oversees and assists with service of meals and beverages in the Aquinata, Ratisbon, and Conference dining areas.
- Coordinates hospitality functions
- Fulfills other dietary position functions to maintain efficient operation of the dept.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Food Services.
- Assists in maintaining and updating all food service records (i.e. HACCP compliance records).
- Maintains updated knowledge of regular and therapeutic diets.
- Serves on, participates in, and attends various committees of the facility as appointed by Food Service Director.
- Provides corrective action to kitchen staff when needed and informs Food Service Director. Works with staff in corrective action to encourage positive outcomes. Follows up with reports to HR in 30, 60 or 90 days as required.
- Supervise, train and orient all cooks and other employees working in the main kitchen.
- Oversee all food and beverage deliveries and stocking inventory
- Evaluates kitchen staff annually and provides mid-year evaluations when necessary
- Inventories food and supplies. Prepare food and supply order. Uses approved vendor list for ordering as established by the kitchen manager.
- Assigns daily production worksheets to all cooks.
- Ensures completion of daily prep work for next day’s production.
- Assists in assuring that department work areas, storage rooms, and equipment are maintained in a clean, safe, and in compliance with regulations through the monitoring of a daily cleaning list.
- Assists in identifying and correcting problem areas and implementing methods for improvement of services.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in culinary or related field, Bachelor’s preferred.
- Successful completion of a food sanitation certification program required..
- Ability to operate various computer software and programs at an intermediate level such as, OUTLOOK, WORD, EXCELL and GFS PLUS.
- Must be Serve Safe certified
- Must have two to three years of supervisory experience in quantity food service, preferably in a restaurant, catering, or retirement/institutional setting.
- Must have three to five years of quantity food production experience, including cooking and baking. Basic knowledge of therapeutic diets a plus.
- Must be able to maintain high levels of discretion.
- Works in all areas throughout the facility’s food service areas (i.e. kitchens, dining rooms, etc.). Works a variable schedule including weekends and holidays. May work beyond normal duty hours when necessary to meet department needs.
- Must have personal integrity and the ability to function independently.
- Must be hospitable, flexible, and possess good oral and written communication in English.
- Must be a warm, caring individual who will strive to meet the needs of the Congregation in a manner consistent with their philosophy of providing a home-like environment for residents, guests, and staff alike.
- Required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of fifty (50) pounds.
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time and distances while carrying or pushing heavy items.
- Subject to potential falls, burns, odors and temperature extremes throughout the day.
Submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Dominican Sisters~Grand Rapids
2025 E. Fulton Street
Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3895
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage persons of diverse faiths and backgrounds to apply for employment with Dominican Sisters~Grand Rapids